Sunday, April 3, 2016

I absolutely AM getting paid to stay home with my kids.



Nothing makes me cringe more when I read the rants of women in mommy groups, complaining of not being paid to stay home with their kids, therefore being deserving of more respect and appreciation They compare the prices of day care, showing how much money their job at home is worth.  I know their complaints come from feeling tired and unappreciated.  While their feelings are valid, I believe there is a more positive way to look at this.  I completely understand feeling tired, used, like every task that used to be easy, now takes three times as long.  You hair hasn't seen a hair brush in days, or in my case, years.  A quiet cup of coffee is a thing of the past, and you spend most of your day cleaning things you cleaned yesterday.  You can't keep nice things, and you now base your outfit on what gives easy access to the milk machines.  I so get it...but isn't it beautiful?



I absolutely AM paid to stay home with my children.  This job is just paid in a different kind of currency.  Though there is no pay check waiting for me any time soon, I am showered in kisses and hugs all day.  I witness all their firsts, and am their favorite person in the whole world.  Time goes a little slower for me, since I get to watch them grow gradually, right in front of me.  They learn something new every day, and in turn have taught me more about myself than ever before.  I get to rediscover the world through their little eyes, getting butterflies every single day.  It's like having a sleep over with your best friends every day, and no matter how much we drive each other crazy, I never really get sick of them!  I get to be the biggest influence in their life, and I get to share every meal with my favorite people.  I don't get breaks too often, but when I do, I am eager to get back to them.  Who can say that about any other job?  Plus, they are the cutest people I could possibly spend my day with.  Who else gets to hand pick their co workers? 
Of course you're not paid to stay home with your kids, BECAUSE YOUR WORK AT HOME IS INVALUABLE.
You can't look for your validation and appreciation in things like money.  When you realize that you can see your purpose being fulfilled through your child's smiles, milestones, and growth, that is when you will feel appreciated, and worthy.
Don't get me wrong, I have no judgements towards working mothers...you ladies are my hero's.  However, I am aware of how lucky I am to stay home.  So many women in my life do not have the option to stay home.  They are trapped in situations out of their control, and my heart aches for them.  Seeing the struggle of my fellow mom-mates who have to leave their children in the care of others while they balance work, home, and social lives, just makes me want to fill my role at home with a positive attitude.  I don't want to complain about trivial and worldly things such as a lack of a paycheck or appreciation.  I did not take this job for outside recognition.  I took this job because I felt like the best place for my children was in my care, and I was blessed enough to have that option open to me.  And appreciation and value is felt every time my kids kiss me or let me snuggle them.  Not a day has gone by where I didn't feel like this job was worth every hour, every sleepless night, every runny nose, every load of laundry, every peed on sheet, and every nook and cranny in my house filled with play doh.

So every time I have to hold a child in my lap to wash my face, or eat a meal, or finish a school assignment, I will smile at the beauty around me.  Time is flying, and there are so many mom's who wish they were right where I am. 

I think the most important thing we can do as mothers, is to fill our cup, so we can fill theirs.  That begins with appreciating OURSELVES.  When you love yourself, you are able to see more clearly the love and appreciation that is already around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment